Creating dependencies directly from the Gantt chart
To create a dependency that is “Start after” (i.e. your new item will depend on the previous item), you can do this by:
- Creating the Task as usual by using the Add Task button
- You can then drag that new task to move it immediately after the “predecessor” task
- Then, hovering your mouse on the end of the “predecessor” task until a small grey circle appears
- Clicking with the mouse and dragging the line with your mouse onto the start of the newly created task, then releasing the mouse
- This will create the dependency
You will then notice that moving the “predecessor” item (i.e. because of a delayed start) or resizing the item (by clicking and dragging closer to the end of the “predecessor" task) will move the dependent item by the equivalent in working days (currently Monday to Friday but of course that’s changeable on each project Edit page as well as your company settings).
Note: You can also delete any dependencies created, by clicking on a dependency orange line in the Gantt chart to highlight it, then pressing the backspace or delete key on the keyboard.
Creating dependencies from the Task creation/edit page
If you prefer the new task to automatically have a start date derived from the end date of the “predecessor” task, you can create the new task using the “New Task” button on any project page, and set “Task dependent” under the “Task duration” field. Then you can define which task your new item will depend on.